Stretch yawn faint

Occasionally I'm overwhelmed with the urge to have a really good stretch, tensing my muscles until they tremble, tipping my head back and unleashing a full on yawn. Lately this is followed by a faint spell - the world goes distant, my vision fades, and everything gets a bit woozy. After a few breaths the world re-intrudes, and normality resumes.

It hasn't concerned me, but after a particularly strong episode today my curiosity was peaked, and I typed 'stretch yawn faint' into Google (hallowed be thy results, for thine is the engine, the spider and the crawler) to see what cropped up.

It turns out the combo of stretching and tipping the head back starves the brain of oxygen. The stretch lengthens the blood vessels causing a blood pressure drop, whilst it also creates demand for oxygen in the tensing muscles, and finally the head tip constricts an artery in the neck which cuts off the blood to the brain.

I'm not sure how common it is in absolute terms, but the forum post I stumbled on was full of 'omg, I thought it was just me' comments.

This brings me neatly on to internet shorthand. Omg. Lmao. Lol. Cringe.

Question: What is as ghastly as 'cool' folks inventing their own 'cool' private language?

Answer: un-cool people co-opting the cool phrases in the mistaken hope they'll look cool.

Now I can segue into a rant on txt-spk, wich I cn jst bout toler8 n mob ph txt msgs, bt I jst h8 n oder contexts. d tym u savD n typin Ive 2 spnd n decoding - tnx 4 dat.

If I had my way, I'd make reading Feersum Endjinn by Iain M. Banks mandatory punishment for txt-spk addicts.

Wun ov thi peepil in thi buk torks like this ol thi way fru. Iss a gr8 buk if u cn tek the time to lrn 2 reed foneticly spelt wurds, but tork about 1/2ing 2 wurk ard & u 1/2 2 1/2 sum imajinayshin 2 wurk it ol out.

Comments

  1. AHahahahahahahaha...the book. Yes, text talk is such a waist if I have to decode or text back and ask you what in the world you're talking about. Is that a french cat mewing? "L'Mao"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "L'Mao" Sounded a bit like a french cow trying to sound cool. Le Moo

      Delete
    2. waste* the waist you put is your body part. YW

      Delete
  2. Best way to rid ourselves of text speak is to ignore it completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I passed out twice doing that today its very scary finding yourself on the floor and not noticing it

    ReplyDelete
  4. This frequently happens to me when I have a prolonged stretch, some instances where I have woke up looking at the ceiling from fainting. This has been something which has always happened, you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After 2 faints in less than an hour, I googled it. And this.... surely no one need ever be alone, ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're all gonna die Thadius, so you're not wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Y'all silly, lol. I'm glad we are not alone bc my 15yr old son has this and he was born with two holes in his heart from medication I was prescribed while pregnant. Thanks for the blog and the comments bc I was starting to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're ** If you are going to make such a statement, type it right!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I happen to have that condition too where i dont know myself for very few minutes and my body also shakes vigourously most of the times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know what its called? I think I worried my mother lol. I probably should be as well I guess cuz it's the second time. The first being just a short few months ago, and it was intense like this. Lost balance and everything dizzy in my sight, body limp and shaking uncontrollably.I could feel the intensity In my muscles running down through my arms and hands just shaking with my body. Kinda thinking has something to do with blood pressure/sleep deprived/stress. I've also been experiencing some mild restless legs when I lay down to sleep nap or night this last couple months.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A confusing smorgasbord of antipathies

Why, oh why, am I puffed up like a balloon after my operation?

Brimming with possibility